Sunday, March 27, 2016

Week 6: Spreading Knowledge

Hello,

Now that the research part of my project is finished, I am now focusing on patient education. In order to do this, I have started making a small, postcard size, handout (using Microsoft Publisher) which has information for patients in risk of getting diabetic neuropathy.

In the past, a lack of awareness and inappropriate management of diabetic peripheral neuropathy has led to unnecessary morbidity and substantial healthcare costs. At least half of all foot ulcers, the end stage of such neuropathy, can be preventable by appropriate management and patient education. However, lack of time and inappropriate or inadequate information may lead to insufficient care. By creating a simple, easy-to-understand handout for patients, I hope to bring awareness to those in risk.

Furthermore, being able to detect and treat neuropathy early will save money for both the patients and the hospital. If the diagnosis is done too late, the disease may have gotten to a point where amputation is necessary. Such invasive surgical tasks will cost more expenditure which could have been prevented. According to Healthcare Bluebook, the total fair price of a leg amputation is $14,245. All that money can be better used for hospital improvements or other research.

In my research, I found many comorbids for diabetic neuropathy. A lot of the patients had similar other diseases. With this information, I compiled a list of the most common illnesses which may be correlated with diabetic neuropathy. In addition to this, high HbA1c levels and smoking or drinking habits can lead to a significantly higher risk. All of these factors will be mentioned in the handout.

After making the handout, I will also refer to Dr. Jyothinagaram (the endocrinologist I shadow) to get his opinion on what I can change or add. This way, I'll have the input of a doctor who deals with diabetic patients every day.

I look forward to finishing this within the coming weeks.

Happy Easter!




6 comments:

  1. I'm very impressed with the latest work you're doing. My question is: why hasn't a handout like you've described been available previously? I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Atteberry asks a great question!

    Has the hospital attempted other means of outreach (social media, videos, etc.)? In addition to cost, what do you think the primary motivators for self-care will be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bhanu, great work this week! I'm glad to hear all your research has been wrapped up nicely! Going off of Mr. Atteberry's question, I was wondering if there are other advertising mediums in which you are hoping to spread the awareness and information your handout does.

    Looking forward to your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work Bhanu! I think it's a great idea to give handouts to patients. Lots of the patients at the wound clinic get wounds because of their neuropathy, so giving a handout could help more than amputations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Bhanu, sounds impressive :) congrats on finishing up your research! Do you have any plans to raise awareness at a greater scale than handouts?

    ReplyDelete